The various settlements nearest to Hounslow are:
Cranford was once known as “the prettiest village in Middlesex”. However, it is now divided by the Parkway and the M4 Motorway. The name Cranford means a ford frequented by herons or cranes. Cranford House and Park were sold between 1916 and 1935 to Hayes and Harlington urban district council and it was resold to the Middlesex County Council in 1935, who leased it back to them for 999 years as an open space. The manorial rights are vested in the county council. The 149 acres bought by Hayes and Harlington Urban District Council in 1932 are preserved as an open space under the joint park management committee of the urban district council and of Heston and Isleworth Borough Council.
St. Dunstan’s Church in Cranford Park is quite picturesque. It has a 15th century tower and contains two fine 17th century monuments
Heston, which means a farm or settlement in a bushy landscape, was originally a small agricultural village but is now a large residential suburb. The original village clustered around St. Leonard’s Church, which has a fine 14th century stone tower. The Vicarage and the Rose and Crown public house are late 18th century buildings. The nearby Infants School and the Old George public house are 19th century. It is still possible to walk across fields from Heston Church to Osterley Park.
Remnants of Heston Airport can still be found on the borders of Heston and Cranford. Heston aerodrome was operational from 1929 to 1946.
Osterley, which means sheepfold clearing, is a late Victorian and twentieth century suburb located on the south of Osterley Park and Osterley House. The Osterley Park is owned by The National Trust and the House and park are open to the public. Its first suburban railway station is now a bookshop. Osterley’s Piccadilly Line ‘tube’ station opened in 1934.
Wyke Green is a pleasant, grassy common that stands in front of the twin lodges that mark the Osterley Lane entrance to Osterley Park. The Hare and Hounds, a country ‘pub’ standing amidst Osterley’s ‘green belt’, is nearby.
Old Isleworth, a riverside settlement from prehistoric times, located between the parish church and Lower Square, was renovated extensively in the 1980s. The name means Gistel or Gislhere’s homestead enclosure. Until the 1960s, it was an inland port with working riverside wharves. London Apprentice public house is a well-known landmark and close to it, the Duke of Northumberland’s River (a man-made watercourse) flows under Mill Bridge and into the River Thames. The centrepiece of the Lower Square is the castellated Blue School building which was converted into modern offices in the 1980s. Another landmark in the square is the old Northumberland Arms public house. The Upper Square is graced by the Glossop Memorial drinking fountain whij opens into South Street. Isleworth’s War Memorial stands on Twickenham Road in front of the Roman Catholic Church. It was erected in 1922.
North of the parish church, Park Road leads to the entrance to Syon Park. Syon House and its Park, rebuilt and landscaped by the Adam brothers and ‘Capability’ Brown between 1766 and 1773, is still a home for the Duke of Northumberland – as well as being one of the Borough’s greatest visitor attractions.
Hounslow West Hatton Cross
Hatton is a small settlement in the boroughs of London Borough of Hounslow and London Borough of Hillingdon, on the southern perimeter of London Heathrow Airport and on the A30 road.
The village clustered around St Dunstan’s Church before the railway came to Feltham in 1848. Amongst the gravestones in the churchyard is that of William Wynne Ryland (d. 1783), a forger and one of the last criminals to be hanged on the public gallows at Tyburn (now Marble Arch).
Feltham’s Anglo-Saxon place-name means the ‘ham’ or settlement on open or newly cultivated land (feld).
Whitton is a town in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It was part of the ancient parish of Twickenham of which it was a semi-rural part for a long time. The status changed when it got its own railway station. It is the only modern neighbourhood of Twickenham which is north of the Crane and is the only dual carriageway in the area with a pub hotel on its route.
Twickenham is a town on the River Thames in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, 10 miles southwest of Charing Cross. Twickenham is the administrative headquarters of the borough. It was a parish and then a civil parish in the county of Middlesex. It expanded rapidly during the suburban growth of London from 1881 until 1961, when its population grew and its farms and common were converted to other use. In 1926 it was incorporated as the Municipal Borough of Twickenham, which merged into the present Greater London borough in 1965.
York House, Marble Hill and Strawberry Hill House are the three grand period mansions with public access to the area. Twickenham’s demonym is ‘the home of English rugby’: the headquarters of the Rugby Football Union is at Twickenham, as is Twickenham Rugby Stadium, the world’s largest stadium officially solely for rugby but which also hosts seasonal and particularly charity music concerts.